Dermal fillers are among the most common, nonsurgical cosmetic procedures performed in the United States. Dermal fillers are composed of a synthetic hyaluronic acid gel, which is a naturally occurring substance in the skin. They are injected under the skin to treat volume loss. Dermal fillers are a safe and cost-effective alternative to plastic surgery and can provide natural looking results.
As we age, the face goes through several physical changes which in part is caused by loss of structural support, as well as loss of volume and migration of fat pads. This may appear as hollow temples, sunken eyes, flattened cheeks, deep lines around the nose and mouth, and loose sagging skin around the jawline. Many people begin to notice signs of facial volume loss starting in their 20s and 30s. The process accelerates as we age and can be influenced by a number of environmental and behavioral factors. Dermal fillers can provide immediate improvement to affected areas.
Specific benefits dermal fillers can provide include:
- Enhance lips and correct asymmetry
- Correct facial lines such as Marionette lines or parentheses
- Decrease sunken eyes, tear troughs and under eye circles
- Improve volume loss in the midface
- Enhance cheek contours
- Augment the chin and sculpt the jawline
- Soften facial lines and wrinkles, or provide an “airbrushed” look
It is important to consult with a medical provider who is knowledgeable and trained in dermal fillers when considering this procedure.